Friday 26 December 2014

'Tisn't the Season

It came, and it went. More importantly, I survived it.

Christmas was a big shadow hanging over this portion of my trip, because it's my favourite time of the year in the UK. I love being with all my family and the warmth that comes with all the Christmas cheer. I knew that this year was going to be very different, and it was making me feel quite homesick. Since I left Japan I've had pangs of nostalgia, and seeing all my friends wrapping presents and decorating their trees these past few weeks has actually been quite hard.

During my solo excursion from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi, Ayutthaya and Sukhothai I did have a constant feeling of loneliness, which wasn't helped by the fact that the hostels I stayed in were all oddly quiet (I think all the backpackers have headed south for Christmas and New Year on the beach). But I made it back to Bangkok on Christmas Eve to see my Thai friend here.

During Christmas Day I made the most of the incredibly festive 33 degree humid heat and sunbathed in Lumphini Park, and then met my friend for dinner at a Japanese restaurant. She introduced me to a few of her friends, who all speak Japanese, so that was nice. We had a fun evening. She and I then went to see some illuminations at Central World in the city centre, which was rammed, but actually very pretty.

So I did have a nice day; if not a magical 'Christmas Day'.

Now I'm really quite glad that the whole Christmas thing is over, because it means I can focus on having an amazing final eight weeks travelling. The cherry on the cake is that one of my best friends arrives tomorrow to travel Asia with me for a month, and our friend will join us at the beginning of January. It's going to be a good month! And that should make up for a less-than-perfect end to December.

Bring it on, Thailand!

No comments:

Post a Comment