Tuesday 12 August 2014

There and Back Again

After my two-week surprise trip home has somewhat clouded into an oddly distant and cherished memory, here I sit in my aunt and uncle's house in suburban Melbourne. It wouldn't be inaccurate to say I'm drifting in and out of a jetlag infused stupor, having been awake since 4.30am this morning. 

I've never had the lag this bad, and it's horrible! Especially as work starts tomorrow, and continues for the following four days. I'm going to be a mess. And upsettingly a cold mess, as my proper little summer holiday to sunny Britain (not even joking - I'm missing the best summer for years and have come back to *Australia* with an English tan) has brought me back to Melbourne's delightful winter. 

But I did have something that perked me up this afternoon. Perked up not only from the insomnia madness, but also the thought of not being on the road for several more months. I got a fourth job! It's at a café just over the road, literally a five minute walk away. This brings my job repertoire here to two cafés, a fancy restaurant, and leaflet delivering on my days off. All of varying hours, pay rates, and locations. Cue me juggling shifts like a money-crazed circus performer. 

And it is all about money. I have been looking at my finances with an attractively furrowed brow recently, but this latest addition to my CV should really help. It's easy, and comforting, to say "it's only money", but the sad truth is that when travelling the world, money equates to experiences. And that's what it's all about. 

After a few more months of working these jobs (hopefully they'll all last) I should have enough money to do a bit of Australia, although I have to say I'm starting to feel I only want to see some choice highlights and then get out of this money-drain and get to Asia, and a proper tour of South East Asia. 

I can't say I'm excited about the next chapter of my trip. It's just a time for me to pump Australia for its relatively high wages. I already can't wait to get back out there and see the world again. But money first, fun later. 

Seeing my friends back at home working 9-5 jobs and living routine lives has made me appreciate what I'm doing. I may just be working and scrimping, but I'm doing it in Australia. Albeit a cold Australia. It's just that compared to the four months prior to this section of my trip where I was constantly seeing and doing incredible things, and fulfilling childhood dreams, serving people plates of bread is a little mundane. But I've been spoiled for amazing experiences. This period will just make the next chapter all the better. 

But right now my next step is to keep awake for a few more hours. I think chocolate and some star jumps should do the trick. 

No comments:

Post a Comment